Search This Blog

Thursday 7 March 2013

Can I admit I just love bacon and eggs.....




It seems we have become bored with horse dna stories and so the newspapers have trawled the food news scoop and today they report that bacon, sausages processed foods et all are to be linked with cancer, diabetes and, in general, early death.  Also reported is a link between salt intake and MS, and other immune system- attacking-our-own-bodies illnesses.  Such joy.  Oh for the days of simple foods produced well.  Hey, hang on, that is what we have today!  If you take a step outside the supermarket and into the world of Deli’s, Farmers Markets, Farm Shops, home baking all this can be yours.  

This week my praise goes to Abel & Cole, out of five companies asked they were the only ones to tell me how the chickens they sold were harvested.  Everyone jumping on the free range and organic wagon loves to have pictures of happy chooks, long grass, open fields, singing them to sleep at night, knitting them little hats in the cold evenings (well ok…….) and we all know we are going to eat these fluffy little creatures, but whilst there is much talk of good quality, taste, plump, juicy etc., no one is actually prepared to discuss as openly the transition between field and plate.  It matters.  Its of no benefit to me if the chicken had a good and healthy life then was terrorised and butchered along with caged birds in a warehouse slaughterville. I want to know if the chickens were collected at dawn (when they are calmest) and how far they had to travel to be harvested (what a great term), and by what method were they put out of their knowledge of what was to come.  So, Abel & Cole, well done on the info, and it was good enough for me to buy a chicken from you.

And, by the way, I spent over a month trying to find a fish provider that a) would tell me how the fish died, and then b) finding one that would come close to humane.  Most fish are suffocated, as in left to die from being out of the water.  Seems a long slow death to me.  I have yet to find a method used that is more acceptable.  By all means inundate me with details if you have any.

No comments:

Post a Comment